Friday, March 30, 2012

At the beginning of March we travelled thousands of miles across the seas to South Africa. Home. Still, after years and years of living away. Some people choose to leave their homelands, or are forced to leave ... but not for me - i went for a while, wanting to travel and see the world with my backpack and innocence, and then one thing led to another and I have lived away for 16 years ... almost half my lifetime. It has made me feel at times guilty and heartbroken and excited and adventurous ... but most of the time it's been hard to be away from family and people I love. I always felt that decision so keenly - how different my life would have been had i stayed. I'll never know if that would have been for better or worse .. I am who I am now, and being away is part of who I am. But Africa is in my blood, for always. It's a place I love deeply deeply, even though I can see the many issues and reasons people do choose to leave.

Today I wanted to share some photos of my trip home but it's hard to sum up the vastness of my country, it's troubled and violent and brave and beautiful history. Instead I'll give you my words ... just a few of them ... and hope you'll be able to go and see for yourself one day. 



vast open spaces where your soul can breathe ...





energy ...


there is poverty ...



and wealth ...


it is a place of breathtaking beauty ...


dramatic skies ...




so much history ...


so many memories ...



x

No comments: