Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On happy days and eating cake ...

Today I am grateful for a 9 year-old who baked brownies for his mom's special day. All by himself.
For my mom's milk-tart recipe which my husband made for my birthday cake. And which just had to be eaten for breakfast. Because that's how we roll in this house.
For my 4 year-old reciting the entire book of Madeline to me at bedtime. Including words like 'solemnly' and 'distressed'. Off by heart.
For handwritten cards and little ones carefully choosing earrings and a heart-shaped locket to give, for a magazine and a book just waiting to be read.

I am grateful for an early dinner and a beautiful birthday cake on the weekend.
For being so spoilt by a friend over birthday-morning coffee ... for her knowing just excatly what i needed today (and always). 
For a playdate where everyone laughed and cake was eaten and catching up was done.
For husbands who leave work early even when it's really hard, to be home in time for dinner. For not having to cook.

For Facebook and email and the phone, which allow messages to be sent immediately across the distances, and letting me stay in touch even though I am far away. I often think of how it was long ago when mail had to come on a ship and took many many months. How did my family manage that, the ones who said goodbye to their son when he left for life in Africa generations ago. When they couldn't pick up the phone or send a photo via email, and a letter took a lifetime to arrive and by then the news was months out of date. I can't imagine.
So today i am grateful for all my friends and family and for all the lovely birthday messages. Thank you.

I am grateful for the most gorgeous weather we have had in months. In spite of the snow still on the ground (and more due tomorrow night), today before a swimming lesson, we had our first playground playtime this year. We even took off our coats. Outside the snow is melting and we drove home with windows down. Stepping out, Baby.



I am grateful for daffodils bursting into bloom and reminding me that spring is just around the corner. For sun streaming into the house today. For basketball that could be played outside.

I am grateful for 4 year olds who love the movie 'Frozen' as much as I do, so much that we had to buy the soundtrack and now listen to it over and over in the car on the way to and from pre-school, both of us singing at the top of our voices. We know almost all the words. It is a perfect birthday soundtrack.

It was a good birthday today. And for that, i am grateful.

x


2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Anniina

    ReplyDelete